Apple Picking Season: Recipe Ideas
Apple picking season is coming to an end and it’s the last chance of the season to stock your fridges with apples. There are tons of Quebec varieties to discover. Need some ideas? This blog post is for you!
Where to go?
The municipality of Rougemont is most recognized as the Apple Capital of Quebec. Not only are there a number of apple varieties, the scenery is breathtaking. What’s our favourite orchard? The Verger de l’Abbaye is 1 km long, offering 14 different kinds of apples. A picnic here is sure to delight young and old!
What to make…
- Instant oatmeal: using small cubes of apple, add a pinch of cinnamon for an exceptionally fall flavour
- Breakfast biscuits with a side of Greek yogurt
A healthy snack should contain a combination of both carbohydrates and protein. Here are a few options using apples:
|1 apple||50 g of cheese < 20% m.f.
|¼ cup of homemade apple sauce||¾ cup of plain Greek yogurt|
|½ cup of diced apple||½ cup of cottage cheese|
|Green apple and spinach smoothie (use your homemade apple sauce!)|
- For a healthy vegetarian option, try the tofu and apple sandwich
- Try the quinoa salad with apple and gouda for a meal that is sure to satisfy your hunger. This whole grain option is packed with your daily recommended intake of fibre, keeping your digestive track healthy and your stomach full.
- This roasted salmon filet with apples, roasted potatoes and beets is an easy way to decrease meat consumption and maximize your intake of Omega-3s.
- This pork recipe with cabbage and apples is a dish you can leave in your crockpot during your 8-hour work day. Come home, relax, and enjoy!
Happy apple picking!
Written by : Ariane Borduas Dt.P. – Nutritionniste à Longueuil, Brossard et St-Bruno (Rive-Sud de Montréal) with TeamNutrition and Mansfield Athletic Club
Originally published by our nutritionists at TeamNutrition.